Mondays are terrible. Mondays are devoid of inspiration, energy, and the willingness to do anything but lay in bed and will the weekend to come back.
Mondays are also my long day. It starts before the sun’s up at the gym and doesn’t end until the sun has set. On days like these, all I want to eat is greasy breakfast tacos, nachos, and a cheeseburger (in that order). So, it helps when I have a go-to recipe that I can make ahead of time and know it will be both healthy and tasty (and help me forget about ooey, gooey melted cheese.)
So, here it is: Smorgasbord Stirfry.
This dish gets its name because it’s made with a mix of whatever veggies I happen to have in my fridge. A smorgasbord of veggies if you will. It’ll change each time and that’s kind of what makes it awesome.
For this version, you’ll need:
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 of a large onion
- 1/2 cup sliced mushroom
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1 broccoli crown
- 1/3 red bell pepper
- coconut oil
- 7-8 chicken tenderloins (or any chicken you have on hand – chicken thighs, chicken breasts, etc.)
- Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning (this is the KEY to making this dish all that it can be)
- Salt and pepper
- Creole seasoning (optional)
Here’s how it’s done:
- Start with mincing the garlic clove and chopping all the vegetables up. Set aside.
2. Season the chicken and start grilling it. (I live for my panini press and use it all day err day, especially for grilling things quickly.)
3. Heat the pan over medium heat. Add some coconut oil to the pan. Then, add the garlic and onion. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and the Mrs Dash.
4. Add the broccoli next as it takes longer than the other veggies to cook. Sprinkle with seasoning (I hope you’re noticing a pattern.)
5. By this time, (hopefully) the chicken is ready to take off the grill and chopped into one-inch pieces.
6. Add the mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers to the pan. (And, more Mrs. Dash. AND, if things are looking a little dry, feel free to add a dollop of coconut oil.)
7. Add the cooked, chopped chicken to the pan. Let everything meld together for a few minutes.
8. Transfer to a bowl and dig in!
(Recipe makes 3 sizable servings. Recipe tweaked from NomNomPaleo.)